Monday, October 15, 2012

Learning Something New

      Hi!  Welcome to Tot Sew Shop.  This is my first official blog post.  I hope to be able to keep you posted on my latest projects, ideas and thoughts.  
      I have always loved crafting.  One of the things I had not yet conquered in the crafting/arts world was sewing.  As a young girl I remember my mom taking sewing classes while I was in ballet class.  She made a few things for my younger sister and I.  I always thought it would be cool to learn how to sew but it never did happen.  My mom's machine quit working and life continued.  Fast forward 20 something years and I got married and had my son.  When my son Lucas turned one back in March, I decided I wanted to make him a birthday outfit.  My mother in law is an avid sewer and I always admired her skill.  I asked her to make Lucas a birthday shirt with a "1" and his name.  Being the messy eater that he was, I knew Lucas would most likely need a second outfit as back up.  This is where I challenged myself.  I was going to teach myself to sew.  I borrowed my friend's Singer sewing machine and online I went.  I was totally clueless.  What is a bobbin?  You have to thread a machine?  What does that mean?  Well thanks to Google and the numerous blogs and videos out there I was able to learn the basics.  I made him a tie applique shirt with our Cat in the Hat theme fabric and I even ventured into making him a bib and a diaper cover.  I was pleased with how it turned out!


      So after this I begged my hubby for a sewing machine.  Thanks to him and my in-laws I was gifted my very first sewing machine.  I did all the research and chose the machine I thought to be the best and a good deal.  I am the proud owner of a Brother LB 6800 PRW.  As I began to develop my sewing skills, I dared myself to get a Serger/Overlock Machine to compliment my sewing machine.  I taught myself how to use it and also got some tips from my mother in law.  This would give my items a more professional look and added durability.  Being a stay at home mom on a very tight budget, I thought it would be a great idea to sew Children's items and open up my own little shop.  I then took an official sewing class at my local Joann's Fabrics and now months later I have made and sold a few items to moms in my local area.  I am so excited to share my passion with you.  Please stay tuned for more updates and visit Tot Sew Shop's Facebook Page and "like" us!

10 comments:

  1. You have a good point here. Totally agree with what you have said!! Thanks for sharing your views...hope more people will read this article!!! Also, check our sites.

    123.hp.com||123.hp.com/setup||123 HP Setup||hp.com/setup||hp.com/123||123.hp.com setup||123 HP Printer Setup||123 HP Printer Support||123 HP Setup and Install||123hpcom

    ReplyDelete
  2. TurboTax is the accounting software which uses to pay tax. Almost every businessman use it and grow their business. Its service also magazine its expert and technician always ready to help their customers. if you have any issue with TurboTax visit here TurboTax Customer Service Number and resolve all error instantly.
    TurboTax Support Number


    Microsoft office famous in the world and everybody knows about it and available in every home in the world. Then If you have any issue you can visit here Office.com/setup and get instant and satisfying solutions for your errors.
    Office.com/setup
    Printer Configuration- 123.hp.com/setup Before you begin with the configuration process, make sure you have completed the hardware setup of your printer. Ink and paper must be loaded in the printer.
    123hp.com/setup

    AOL Desktop Gold is a software which through you can chat, play videos, and mailing. These are a feature in this software then don’t get late, install it and enjoy it. In case you face any problem visit here Download Aol Desktop Gold and get problem-free.
    download AOL Desktop Gold

    ReplyDelete